Table of Contents
WordPress is an outstanding platform with a bunch of features specially designed to create high-quality websites. Yet, it does hold one critical flaw. WordPress (WordPress.org) does not offer hosting for websites; you have to purchase it from a third-party service.
To that end, WordPress developers usually have two options: Shared Hosting and Managed Hosting. Let’s focus on the latter for now. Unlike shared hosting, where multiple websites share the same resources, managed WordPress hosting provides dedicated resources and expert support. It ensures your website’s optimal performance, security, and maintenance.
In this blog, I’ll tell you more about what managed WordPress hosting is, along with its features, benefits, workings, cost, and much more. So, let’s begin.
What is Managed WordPress Hosting?
Managed WordPress hosting is a specialized hosting service designed specifically for WordPress websites. It offers a hassle-free experience by handling all technical aspects of website management. This allows users to focus on creating and publishing content without worrying about server management, security, or performance optimization.
This type of hosting typically includes automatic backups, regular updates, and enhanced security measures to protect websites from potential threats. It also provides features like staging environments, which enable users to test changes before making them live.
Managed WordPress hosting is highly beneficial for businesses and individuals who want to ensure their WordPress websites run smoothly and efficiently. With its reliable and scalable infrastructure, WordPress development services ensure optimal performance even during high-traffic periods.
What are the Features of Managed WordPress Hosting?
Managed WordPress hosting offers a variety of features to improve the performance and management of WordPress websites. These features include:
- Automatic updates: Managed WordPress hosting providers take care of updates for the WordPress core, themes, and plugins, ensuring that your site is always up-to-date and secure.
- Enhanced security: This type of hosting comes with features such as malware scanning, firewalls, and DDoS protection. That’s why WordPress experts prefer managed hosting to offer advanced security measures and protect your site from potential threats.
- Speed optimization: Managed hosting providers often use caching techniques, CDN integration, and server-level optimizations to deliver fast loading times for your WordPress site.
- Expert support: Managed WordPress hosting comes with dedicated support from knowledgeable WordPress experts who can assist with technical issues troubleshooting, and offer guidance for optimizing your website.
- Scalability: Managed hosting providers offer resources that can handle spikes in traffic and accommodate the growth of your website, ensuring smooth performance even during high-traffic periods.
Managed WordPress hosting is the way to go if you would like to have automatic updates, enhanced security, speed, support, and scalability for your site. When choosing a managed hosting provider, consider these features to ensure a seamless and efficient WordPress experience.
What are the Benefits of Managed WordPress Hosting?
Managed WordPress hosting offers a range of benefits over shared hosting, making it an ideal choice for businesses that rely on their WordPress websites for success. Here are some of the key advantages of using managed WordPress hosting:
- Enhanced performance: Managed hosting providers optimize their servers specifically for WordPress, resulting in faster loading times and improved overall performance.
- Automated updates: With managed hosting, the provider handles updates for the WordPress core, themes, and plugins. That ensures your site always runs on the latest versions and remains secure.
- Enhanced security: Managed hosting providers implement robust security measures to safeguard your website from malware and other potential threats. It reduces the risk of hacking or data breaches.
- Expert support: Managed WordPress hosting typically includes access to knowledgeable support staff who specialize in WordPress. They can assist with troubleshooting, performance optimization, and other technical issues.
- Scalability: Managed hosting providers offer flexible plans that allow your website to handle increased traffic and accommodate growth without experiencing performance issues.
- Time and resource savings: Tasks like updates, backups, and security are delegated to the managed WordPress hosting provider. So you can focus on creating content and growing your business instead of managing technical aspects.
Overall, managed WordPress hosting provides a convenient and reliable solution for website owners. So when choosing the best WordPress hosting provider, look for the managed options. They offer you peace of mind while ensuring the benefits of the WordPress platform are fully leveraged.
What are the Differences Between Managed WordPress Hosting and Regular Hosting?
Here’s a table comparing Managed WordPress Hosting and Regular Hosting.
|Managed WordPress Hosting
|Businesses and individuals with high-traffic WordPress websites
|Individuals or small businesses with basic websites
|Dedicated WordPress servers for faster loading times
|Shared servers, potentially affecting performance
|Proactive security measures, including malware scanning and intrusion detection
|Basic security measures, such as firewalls and limited malware protection
|Comprehensive maintenance services, covering backups, updates, and plugin management
|Manual website maintenance, requiring user intervention
|Dedicated WordPress support team for prompt assistance
|Generic support team for various hosting issues
|Scalable resources to accommodate website growth
|Limited scalability, requiring server upgrades
|Typically more expensive due to specialized features and dedicated support
|More affordable for basic websites with low traffic
How Does Managed WordPress Hosting Work?
Managed WordPress hosting operates behind the scenes to ensure your WordPress website is optimized for performance, security, and maintenance. It involves a combination of specialized servers, proactive security measures, and dedicated support services. Here’s a breakdown of the key components:
- Server setup: The hosting provider configures a server environment specifically optimized for WordPress, allowing for easy installation and setup.
- Automated updates: Managed hosts handle all updates for WordPress core, themes, and plugins automatically, ensuring that your site remains secure and up to date.
- Performance optimization: Hosting providers utilize various techniques, such as caching, CDN integration, and server-level optimizations, to enhance website speed and performance.
- Enhanced security: Managed hosts implement robust security measures, including malware scanning, firewalls, and regular backups, to safeguard your website against threats.
- Expert support: Managed WordPress hosting offers dedicated support from experienced WordPress experts who can assist with any technical issues or troubleshooting.
Managed WordPress hosting works by providing a holistic solution. It encompasses specialized servers, proactive security, dedicated support, hands-off maintenance, and scalable resources.
This comprehensive approach ensures your WordPress website is optimized for performance, security, and ease of management. That allows you to focus on your business goals without worrying about the technical complexities of running a WordPress site.
What are the Costs of Managed WordPress Hosting?
The cost of managed WordPress hosting varies depending on the provider, the plan’s features, and the resources allocated to your site. However, it typically ranges from around $25 to $200 or more per month for high-traffic sites with demanding performance and security requirements.
Here’s a breakdown of the average cost range and offerings for different levels of managed WordPress hosting:
- Cost: $10-$50 per month
- Features: These usually include essential features such as automatic backups, regular updates, and security measures.
- Cost: $50-$100 per month
- Features: Ideal for medium-traffic websites with moderate performance and security requirements. Includes enhanced security features, more comprehensive support, and dedicated resources.
- Cost: $100-$200 or more per month
- Features: Designed for high-traffic websites with demanding performance and security needs. Includes advanced security measures, priority support, and dedicated resources to handle high traffic volumes.
Certain providers also offer premium add-ons like content delivery networks (CDNs), SSL certificates, and premium themes or plugins, which may come at an extra cost. Moreover, if you require customizations or want to scale your website as it grows, there may be additional costs associated with these services.
Despite being more expensive than shared hosting, managed WordPress hosting offers significant benefits in terms of performance, security, and support. That makes it a valuable investment for businesses and professionals.
Are There Any Additional Costs for Plugins or Themes?
When considering managed WordPress hosting, it is important to be aware of any potential additional costs for plugins or themes. While the cost of managed WordPress hosting typically covers the hosting service itself and basic features, there may be extra charges for premium plugins or themes.
Some managed WordPress hosting providers include popular plugins and themes in their plans, eliminating the need for additional purchases. However, if you require specific premium plugins or themes that are not included, you may need to buy them separately.
By understanding the potential additional costs for plugins or themes, you can make an informed decision when selecting a managed WordPress hosting provider that best fits your needs and budget.
Are There Any Discounts for Long-term Plans?
Managed WordPress hosting providers often offer discounts for long-term plans, making it a cost-effective choice for website owners. These discounts are designed to incentivize customers to commit to longer contract terms, typically ranging from 1 to 3 years.
By signing up for a long-term plan, customers can take advantage of substantial savings compared to monthly plans. But for that, you will have to contact the managed hosting provider and have a thorough consultation about the plan and its offerings.
Or you can have a chat with our WordPress development company. We’ll provide you with all the necessary details regarding the best hosting plans for your website. We also offer WordPress website maintenance packages that can supplement the managed hosting cost-effectively.
What are the Best Managed WordPress Hosting Providers?
When it comes to managed WordPress hosting for the website, there are a range of options available.
WP Engine is a popular choice for businesses and individuals who prioritize performance, security, and scalability for their WordPress websites. They offer a range of plans tailored to different traffic levels and provide dedicated WordPress support.
- Premium infrastructure: Utilizes Google Cloud Platform’s infrastructure for high-speed performance and scalability.
- Automatic updates: Automatically updates WordPress core, themes, and plugins to the latest versions.
- Caching mechanisms: Implement caching mechanisms like Memcached and Varnish to improve website performance.
- Content Delivery Network (CDN): Integrates with a CDN to deliver content to visitors from locations closest to them, reducing latency and improving page load times.
- Real-time backups: Create real-time backups of your website data for disaster recovery and data protection.
- Advanced security measures: Implement advanced security measures like malware scanning, intrusion detection systems, and firewalls to protect your website from cyber threats.
- Dedicated WordPress support: Provides dedicated WordPress support with expert technicians available 24/7/365.
WP Engine is known for its robust infrastructure, proactive security measures, and user-friendly interface.
Pricing: Starts at $15 per month.
SiteGround is another popular managed WordPress hosting provider known for its affordable pricing, excellent customer support, and focus on security. They offer a range of plans catering to different website needs, including automatic updates, caching mechanisms, and malware scanning.
- Automated WordPress setup: Automatically sets up WordPress and optimizes it for performance.
- SuperCacher: Utilizes SuperCacher to improve website performance by caching static pages and content.
- MalCare: Integrates with MalCare for advanced malware scanning and detection.
- One-click staging environments: Create one-click staging environments for testing new features or plugins without affecting your live website.
- 24/7/365 customer support: Provides 24/7/365 customer support with responsive and knowledgeable technicians.
SiteGround is a good choice for those seeking a balance of value, performance, and security.
Pricing: Starts from $17.99 per month.
Kinsta is a premium managed WordPress hosting provider that focuses on performance and scalability. They utilize Google Cloud Platform’s infrastructure, ensuring high-speed performance and the ability to handle spikes in traffic without downtime.
- Global server network: Utilizes Google Cloud Platform’s global server network to deliver high-speed performance to visitors from anywhere in the world.
- LiteSpeed web server: Utilizes LiteSpeed web server for enhanced performance and resource efficiency.
- Autoscaling: Automatically scales resources based on website traffic to ensure optimal performance and prevent downtime.
- Staging environments: Create one-click staging environments for testing new features or plugins without affecting your live website.
- Advanced security measures: Implement advanced security measures like IP address whitelisting, rate limiting, and server-side hardening to protect your website from cyber threats.
- Priority support: Provides priority support with expert WordPress technicians available 24/7/365.
Kinsta is known for its dedicated support team, advanced security measures, and one-click staging environments for testing new features.
Pricing: Starts at $24 per month.
Choosing the best managed WordPress hosting provider depends on your specific needs and budget. Consider factors such as website traffic, performance requirements, security priorities, and budget when evaluating different providers.
How to Set Up Managed WordPress Hosting?
Setting up managed WordPress hosting involves a few simple steps that typically can be completed within a few minutes. The process may vary slightly depending on the specific provider you choose, but the general steps are as follows:
Choose a Managed WordPress Hosting Provider and Plan
When searching for a managed WordPress hosting provider, it’s important to consider various factors to ensure that you select the right one for your website. To help you make an informed decision, here is a step-by-step guide:
- Research: Conduct thorough research to identify reputable managed WordPress hosting providers.
- Features and Services: Compare the features and services offered by different providers, such as server performance, automatic backups, security measures, and customer support.
- Scalability: Take into account the scalability options provided by the hosting provider, as your website may need to accommodate future growth.
- Price: Evaluate the pricing plans and determine which one aligns with your budget and specific requirements.
- Reviews and Reputation: Read reviews and testimonials from existing customers to gauge the provider’s reliability and level of customer satisfaction.
- Support: Check the quality and availability of customer support, as you may require assistance with technical issues or website maintenance.
- Migration Assistance: If you already have an existing website, inquire about the provider’s assistance with WordPress migration to ensure a smooth transition.
By following these steps, you can select a managed WordPress hosting provider that meets your specific needs and offers a reliable hosting environment for your website.
Migrate Your Website or Install WordPress
- Choose a managed WordPress hosting provider that offers migration services or a one-click WordPress installation.
- Select a plan that fits your website’s needs and create an account.
- If you already have a website, follow the specific migration instructions provided by the managed hosting provider. This typically involves backing up your website, transferring the files and database to the new hosting environment, and configuring the domain settings.
- If you are starting from scratch, use the hosting provider’s control panel to easily install WordPress with just a few clicks.
- Customize your website settings, including themes, plugins, and security options. Make your website unique and tailored to your preferences.
But before migrating your website, thoroughly test it in the new hosting environment to ensure everything is functioning correctly. Additionally, utilize the support and resources provided by the managed hosting provider to make the process smoother.
Configure Your Website Settings
Next is a critical step in the process. You need to configure the WordPress settings of your website. Here is a list of steps to guide you in this process:
- General Settings: First, configure the general settings like site title, site description, WordPress address and site URL, email address, and more.
- Permalinks: Choose a consistent permalink structure for your website’s posts and pages. This determines how URLs are generated for your content.
- Reading Settings: Select whether your front page displays recent posts or a static page, and choose the default format for new posts, such as standard, aside, or image.
- Discussion Settings: Manage comment moderation settings, such as requiring approval for all comments or allowing anonymous comments. Enable or disable pingbacks and trackbacks, which are notifications of links to your website from other sites.
- Media Settings: Specify the allowed file types for media uploads, such as images, documents, and videos. Set default dimensions for thumbnails, medium, and large images to optimize their display.
- Plugin Settings: Enable the necessary plugins that provide additional functionality to your website. Adjust the settings of each plugin to customize their behavior and features.
- Theme Settings: Choose a theme that aligns with your website’s style and branding. Modify theme settings like colors, typography, and layout elements. Add and configure widgets to display dynamic content on your sidebar or other designated areas.
- Social Settings: Connect your website to social media platforms to display social sharing buttons and feeds. Configure how your content is shared on social media, including default sharing text and images.
Remember, configuring your website settings is an ongoing process as you add new content, install plugins, and make changes to your website’s design and functionality. Regularly review and update your settings to ensure your website is operating smoothly and efficiently.
Start Managing Your Website with the Hosting Provider’s Tools
When utilizing managed WordPress hosting, you will have access to a variety of tools provided by the hosting provider to efficiently manage your website.
- Dashboard: A centralized interface for managing your website’s settings and resources.
- Backups: Automated backups of your website data to protect against data loss.
- Updates: Automatic updates for WordPress core, themes, and plugins to ensure security and compatibility.
- Security: Proactive security measures to protect your website from malware, hackers, and other threats.
- Support: Access to technical support to assist with any issues you encounter.
By utilizing these tools, you can effectively manage and optimize your WordPress website without the need for technical expertise or manual tasks. This allows you to focus on creating and growing your website while leaving the technical aspects to the hosting provider.
If you need help with this setup, you can consult with a WordPress website development agency. Not only will they help you select a managed hosting plan, but they will also ensure a good setup and management afterward.
FAQs on What is Managed WordPress Hosting
Maintaining a WordPress website can be a daunting task, especially for those without technical expertise. That is where managed WordPress hosting steps in, offering a comprehensive solution to streamline website management and optimize performance.
Managed WordPress hosting provides a dedicated environment specifically tailored for WordPress websites, ensuring optimal performance, robust security, and hands-off maintenance. By outsourcing these technical complexities to experienced professionals, businesses can focus on their core operations and achieve their strategic goals.
If you want more info regarding managed WordPress hosting or looking to integrate one into your website, have a talk with our experts today!